Thursday, March 19, 2009

Things I Take for Granted

I really try not to be too serious on my blog. I feel like if I want to be serious and personal, that's more for a personal journal than for a blog post. But I feel that I would like to be a little more serious and personal on this post. It's been a pretty challenging month around our household. Some challenges for our family and also for me personally. I won't go into detail, because once again I feel like that should be left for a personal journal entry. However, last night things were put into perspective for me. I visited with a lady who was hit by a car while taking a walk about 5 months ago. She was obviously seriously injured by this accident. She is unable to use her arms and has just recently been able to grasp a spoon again. As we were talking about it, she said a few different times, "You never realize how much you use your arms and hands. I totally took them for granted before this accident." It would truly be such a challenge if you didn't have the use of your hands and arms. I can't even imagine how difficult life must be for her now. I'm glad that she has a kind husband and ward members there for help and support. I also often think of Stephanie Nielson, who I'm sure you all know of. Each day, each hour, each minute must be so difficult for her. So much physical, not to mention emotional pain. It really tugs at my heart strings when I read her blog posts now. Even though I don't know her personally I think about her everyday. What I'm trying to say is that even though I've had some challenges this month, it's nothing compared to what so many others have to deal with on a daily basis. This makes me not want to take all that I have been blessed with, most especially my good health for granted.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Hey Melissa! It is Andrea (Butler) Garyson. I found you through Kelly Freitag's blog. Your little girl is soo cute!! I am glad to reconnect with you!

i said...

i hear you! i'm always glad to get a "reality check" here and there. i hope your next month is better.

Angie Larkin said...

I too am having a hard time with some things. Last night at my 2 yr old was praying I had a thought. It was comforting to realize that some things must simply be endured. I always thing something is wrong, or I'm doing something wrong or the situation needs fixing when sometimes things just have to be endured. I don't know if that makes sense, but I realized it won't last forever and I just have to do my best and act my best even if I don't feel my best. Hope things improve soon for you!

Jan Jones said...

One of the best things you can do when you're going through hard times is what you're doing--count your blessings.