Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Drive From HELL!

For Thanksgiving Ryan, Addy, and I traveled to Napa to celebrate with Ryan's family. We figured with stops to eat and traffic it would be a 9 hour drive. It's a pretty long trip no matter what, but especially with a newborn baby in the car, but we figured it would be manageable. The sad part is we weren't able to get on the road until about 1:00 on Wednesday, because Ryan had to teach his lab at school. We got on the road, excited to be able to go visit Ryan's family. As everyone well knows, when you travel the day before Thanksgiving you can expect a lot of other cars on the road. I have to tell you though, driving through the LA area and onwards I have never seen such nasty, heinous traffic in all my life! We were at a crawling speed and it seemed it would never end! It usually takes about 2 hours to get from where we live to LA, it ended up taking us 7 hours to get from our house to north LA!!! Yes, I said 7 hours! What was supposed to be a 9 hour trip ended up taking us 15 hours. Yes, I said 15 hours! Ryan and I were both so cranky, hungry, tired, and bitter after we got out of it! The icing on the cake is, when we were about 1 hour from Napa we had to cross a toll bridge. Ryan had thought beforehand and had scrounged up about $2.00 in change, since neither of us had any cash on us. (60 cents of which was in pennies, which I'm sure would have been greatly appreciated!) When we got to the bridge it ended up being $4.00 and since we didn't have the cash to pay, we were told we would receive a $29.00 ticket in the mail. We ended up arriving in Napa at 4:30 a.m. Yes, I said 4:30 a.m., exhausted beyond belief. One great upside to this trip was our sweet baby was such a trooper. She definitely complained less than either of the adults in the car. She slept, sucked on her pacifier, and hardly even fussed the whole time, despite being strapped into her car seat. We were all happy to arrive in Napa alive and well! Cross your fingers for us that tommorow's trip home will be better than the trip to get to Napa.

8 comments:

the mrazek family said...

I'm so glad you guys made it! Honestly, I probably would have given up and gone home. You are troopers! It was awesome to see that sweet little baby (oh, and you guys too :))!

Erik and I both got a litle bug on T-day so we're hoping to see you guys tonight. We didn't want to pass anything onto Addy. But, one time in 5 days is not enough!!! She is such a sweetheart!

Gracie J said...

California+Holiday Weekend+Driving=Bad Trip

jocelyn said...

So...how was the drive back?

Kelly said...

at least you got to be with Ryan the whole time. What a trip! Thanks for coming up. Addy is perfect. I can't wait to see her again. I hope the drive home was better. Southwest is looking good for next time!

Jenny said...

Melissa, you have the best worst stories! So sad! I hope you made it home real fast.

Jan Jones said...

How did your drive compare with the "Hike From Hell?" Just curious.

The San Diego Mills said...

I am happy to report that we made it home safe and sound. The baby was so good the whole time too. The only bad part was driving through L.A. at about 6:30 at night. It seems like L.A. traffic is bad no matter what time of day though. I'm glad that we made it home alive!

KAPELE KREW said...

What is the Hike from Hell?