Wednesday, August 6, 2008
About a boy or actually a girl...
Addy and I went grocery shopping today and 2, count em' 2 old men mistook her for a boy. Granted, she doesn't have a ton of hair yet and could possibly be mistaken for a boy if she was wearing a gender neutral color, such as yellow or green. However, the outfit she was wearing was a pink onesie with flowers and butterflies on it and purple pants. The second old man that thought she was a boy was standing behind me in the checkout line and said, "How old is he?" To which I replied, "It's actually a she." He then proceeded to bring his cart up next to mine (oh dread!) and tell me that he has two daughters and one is a "multi, multi millionaire." He also told me that his daughter's husband is a successful TV executive and then said, "Maybe you've seen him on TV, he's the juice man." I said I hadn't and he continued on (double dread!) about how his daughter and her husband have all these great business ventures, and all this money and bought him a new car with some of it. He then said, "Yeah you never know what they'll grow up to be like, my other daughter's just poor." Which I thought was a pretty rude thing to say about your own daughter. After today I'm convinced that I have a sign on my back, only visible to old folks and really weird people that says, "Please, come talk to me." It seems that they always chose to approach me, which I normally have no problem with. Unless they mistake my daughter for a son or have to yammer on telling me stories about their own daughters fortunes and misfortunes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
We have definite boy outfits (purchased in the boy section) and I just decided that it doesn't matter what other people call her, I just smile and nod. It's only when they say, "What's his name?" that I finally correct them. But there have been occasions when she is dressed as a girl and people make the mistake. That's when I imagine myself rolling my eyes, because it would be impolite to roll my eyes in front of them.
I love that people like to tell you there stories. You must look very friendly.
I love listening to stories from the "old folks" I think it's fun to hear what they have to say.
You better be especially nice to old people or I'll kick you in the breeches.
wow. poor you. however, i cannot count how many times people have asked me how old my little girl is. i just want to say "is is the color blue, the lack of a bow, or the boyish tshirt that led you to believe that this is a girl?" geesh. hey, but we are coming to san diego in september we should get together!
I get that all the time. My son, who resembles a moose, is called "she" all the time.
I'm with Kelly, I love old people stories, they just need someone to talk with...and talk...and talk. It makes me wish I had gotten to know my grandparents more to hear stories of their lives. You probably made that man's day. Too bad for the poor daughter though.
that's a really funny story. addy has the girliest little mouth to me i totally don't see how someone could mistake her. old people are so awkward sometimes. i'm sad for the poor daughter too. it sounds like he hates her.
That has happened to me soooo many times! I don't get it.
Post a Comment